Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Year, New Me?

Oh hey, it's 2013.  I thought more would be made about this being the 13th year of this century and somehow unlucky (I mean, the other day was 1-3-13 for goodness sake), but maybe we were too busy worrying about Mayan prophecies and the end of the world.  Anyhow, I, like the rest of the country, have been thinking about the new year, what I'd like to accomplish in the coming months (resolutions, if you will) and all that jazz.  By it's very nature this year should (god I hope it is) be better than last.  So I am trying to figure out how I can contribute to the greatness that I know this year can be. 

I mentioned in my last post 'the person I think/wish I am/was.'  For the new year, I'd like to be more like her.  I want to have more meals at the kitchen table than in front of the TV.  I want to do that thing where you eat full fat brie and are satisfied with less because it's the real thing.  I want to pay attention to what I am really hungry for and 'intuitively eat' or whatever.  I want to finally learn how to can, to make the rosewater syrup and calendula salve I've been meaning to make for months, to put to use some of the craft supplies I inherited from my mother...and most importantly to not feel guilty/disappointed if I don't do any of those things.  Basically I am resolving to be happier and to do the things I love doing.

To that end, I had a lovely weekend.  Yesterday TW and I had brunch with friends, went on a long walk in the sun, visited the Ann Hamilton exhibit again (the swings!  Oh how I love the swings...), and did a little shopping before we watched the football games.  Today I went to the gym, did my shopping at a combination of the hippy store that I love, the local fish market and wine store, came home and made a Dutch baby pancake for breakfast (at 3!) and then made a meal from Bon Appetit's food lover's cleanse to eat while watching the football game.  I have a feeling the eating at the table part of my resolution will have to wait until after football is over.  This dinner was really delicious, and not at all cleanse-y.  Not going to lie, I was hungry an hour later and had some dark chocolate and kale chips.  In an effort to achieve balance, I'd call that a win.


Just going to give the links, as I didn't modify the recipes at all.  If your baby bok choy is was big as mine was, you probably only need to get 2-4.  I got the recommended 6 and I couldn't fit them all into a large pot.  Otherwise I followed the directions exactly.

Sake-Steamed Clams with Soba Noodles
Bok Choy with Chili-Black Bean Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment